Saturday, December 5, 2009

I am paid as a amatuer photographer for local events and need to know how do I turn this into a busi

I love taking photos of my friends and family. For the past year, I have been paid (very little! :( ) to be the eyes getting candid shots at small events (birthdays, showers.....). What are the steps to turning this into a profession and a business? I have no formal training and my cameras need serious upgrades. Do I have to get a business license before I take the classes or buy the newer equipment?



I am paid as a amatuer photographer for local events and need to know how do I turn this into a business?theater seating



Go to http://www.score.org/ to find the nearest SCORE chapter. In the upper left hand corner is a box to enter your zip code. Your nearest SCORE chapter will be on the next screen. Contact them to arrange for a free one on one meeting with a SCORE counselor about starting a photography business.



SCORE is a nonprofit organization. They provide a public service by offering small business advice and training.



SCORE's 10,500 volunteers have more than 600 business skills. Volunteers share their wisdom and lessons learned in business. The volunteers are working/retired business owners, executives and corporate leaders.



I am paid as a amatuer photographer for local events and need to know how do I turn this into a business?lyric opera opera theater



No, you don't need a license to take the classes or buy the newer equipment, but obviously you recognize that all of these will eventually help your "business". No body said you needed to wait until you have expensive cameras or more classes before you start your business, but the chances are great that you will be more successful if you do.



Getting any business up and running requires that you know as much as you can about the business. If you start small however, like you're doing, you can "learn-as-you-go".



My recommendation is to expand slowly as you learn, target a market now that can be successful and profitable and then expand into other more profitable areas as you become "professional". The only difference between a professional and armature photographer besides experience and knowledge is the right equipment and the clientele to make a business profitable. Since it takes time to build a clientele, don't invest too much in equipment to start and sink your business ship, but don't be so cheep nobody wants what you produce. It is a fine line that may require you to get a job helping another successful photographer before you "do your own thing".



I'd also strongly recommend a business plan that may help you the most The framework for that can be found at http://www.sba.org .



Good luck in your quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd