Thursday, December 10, 2009

Do you get embarassed for the gay community when you attend events like Gay Pride Festivals?

Today was gay pride in Phoenix. My boyfriend and I had to be on a float in the parade and then immediately go to work a booth at the festival. After people watching all day, I had mixed feelings about the gay community. Part of me was thankful there are events like gay pride that allow the community to be themselves. On the other hand, some of the guys behaved and carried themselves in a way that made me feel ashamed to be called a gay man. My boyfriend and I are both very masculine but enjoy our more effeminate friends. I have to be honest about how I felt ashamed of a significant portion of our gay community. Have you ever observed behavior from some gay men that made you embarassed or ashamed to be a gay person?



Do you get embarassed for the gay community when you attend events like Gay Pride Festivals?comedy show



no, I never felt embarrassed or ashamed of Gay Pride Festivals . There are alot of masculine gay men who don't even attend pride because of this, but it's nice that you went to represent yourself in the gay community to show there can be many types of gay people.



I seen this video on youtube with Harvey fierstein talking about gay pride and it makes perfect sense and kind of puts things in perspective...lol plus he's funny



Do you get embarassed for the gay community when you attend events like Gay Pride Festivals?greek theater opera theater



I have to say that yes, I have felt embarassed of our community. Sometimes I would see the gay guys at school and be like oh my gosh please stop acting like that. I'm also very masculine acting, but I'm not ashamed to be gay really, or ever have been.
No. I've marched in the NYC Gay Pride Parade several years in a row with a local New Jersey GLBT organization. I really enjoy it. Yes, there are some people in the GLBT community who go a little over the top with their costumes and so on, but....so what? Have you seen what straight folks get up to during Mardi Gras?



Gay Pride is a party, and people like to dress up and go a little wild at parties. I have no problem with that. :-)



And for every party boy in short-shorts and no shirt dancing on a float, or for every drag queen in her sequined finery and high heels, or for every leather-clad lesbian on her motorcycle, there are hundreds of other gay, lesbian, bi and transgendered people, like me, marching in the parade or watching from the sidelines, who would blend into any crowd at any mall or Main Street in America. And that, for me is the true joy of being in or at the Gay Pride Parade -- the realization that we ARE everywhere -- gay cops and firefighters in uniform, gay lawyers and judges, gay health professionals and social workers; GLBT church groups and youth groups and GBLT groups representing almost every ethnicity you can think of; GBLT employee groups from companies like AT%26amp; T and Macy's and Starbucks, to name a few. I mean, the list goes on and on.



And in answer to your question, no, I've never observed behavior from gay men (or women) that made me embarrassed or ashamed of being gay. They're adults. I'm not responsible for their behavior, they are!



I've seen occasional behavior at gay pride events that makes me go "Wow, I can't believe they're doing that in public!" but it has no bearing on my own self-esteem as a lesbian. I have no control over what other people do, and what other people do has nothing to do with who I am as a human being. Period.
NO! If I was going to feel or be embarassed I would not be who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd